Summer is here and there's never a better time to "Bring out the Branston!" so head for into your garden and make the most of it with this great picnic idea.
Serves: 4-6 / Prep: 15 minutes / Fridge time: 2 hours or overnight / Total: 2 hours, 15minutes
- 1 large white boulle
- 8-10 tbsp Branston Original Pickle
- 8 slices of mature Cheddar
- 2-4 large slices of thick cut British ham
- 3-4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 small handfuls of wild rocket
- Using a large bread knife, slice a lid for the boulle on the horizontal, one-third of the way down.
- Hollow out the boulle, reserving the centre bread for making cheesy baked croutons.
- Spread the inside of the hollowed boulle with a generous layer of Branston Original Pickle and then begin to fill your sandwich in layers. Start with the sliced cheddar, covering the pickled base. Next, a large slice of ham, followed by a wheel of tomato slices and a handful of rocket. Repeat the process, adding another spread of Branston Original Pickle in between the next cheddar and ham layers.
- When your boulle is full, spread a spoonful of pickle across the inside of the lid and cover the loaf, then wrap with baking parchment and weigh down in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, or overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, unwrap and slice the layered boulle into wedges, exposing the delicious layered filling.